Monday, August 9, 2010

Wk 4 First Attempt

I have always found using physical models very useful in my design process as a means of testing the relationship between built form and its context. While I have exaggerated height to make it easier to visualise the definition of the form within its context, my aim would be to make the library prominent. My reasoning for this is based on our team analysis of the area. When you spend time in the area there does not appear to be a culture of social street life, as there aren't any particularly dynamic businesses or outdoor public spaces. However as you look around there are construction sites emerging, and posters advertising new developments, all of which are mixed-use with at least 3 storeys of apartments. So I feel that this reveals that the area will be gradually transformed to have a much more important role as a cultural center. This places a lot of strategic importance on our library site which could become a landmark in a newly emerging cultural hub. As such I feel it must certainly be restrained and sensitive in its response to site, but that it must be distinctive and memorable within its context so that it can take on this important role.

The models have also more tangibly revealed to me the potential of the fracturing and splitting of the forms, in creating outdoor spaces that deal with the changing topography.

No comments:

Post a Comment