Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Project 2: Wk 3 Second Attempt

As it stands the narrative now reads 'Out of a long constrictive hall emerges an elevated, harmonising tower with projecting alcoves for apparent strangers who read, engage in conversation and reach a heightened understanding of themselves. I have been cultivating and exploring my concepts by using this deconstructable working model, which allows me to easily and quickly test different spatial ideas. I have used this method very deliberately because it integrates with my thought process and allows me to think clearly in a physical way and test lighting qualities- better than my initial SketchUp model. Admittedly I like to be hands on with my projects, and really enjoy the analogue element of model construction in architecture.

An outline of the spacial arrangements and articulation...

The shards in the long carriage are reflective of the lack of engagement between the characters. This is an expression of what I found really jarring about the painting... that even in this texturally warm, tranquil space, it does not encourage interaction, and also doesn't elevate the characters out of their seemingly unengaging stupor.
I developed the spacial qualities of my initial arrangement in a number of ways. I wanted to encourage interaction/exchange and playfulness... in my first design the alcoves were too comfortable, by that I mean, the windows were regularly placed and abundant providing almost everything someone would need, not encouraging them to venture out of the space and interact... so in the 2nd stage the windows are placed in unnerving, almost comical ways, so the space can't satisfy them and presses them to leave the space. The space is intended as a place for brief private reflection breaks between interacting with the others. The windows in the alcoves are arranged, so the long vertical ones keep neighboring strangers facing each other(permeability- maintaining same level of view as in a train carriage). The verticality of the room binding the alcoves then encourages the strangers to come together and explore space... as they walk up the stairs and are gratified with more views eventually reaching the top main alcove that affords the ultimate view once they reach the top alcove which acts as the main point of congregation. The roof allows for the projection of a pattern across walls as sun moves around.

No comments:

Post a Comment