Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Project 2: Wk 4 Third Attempt

For my work on the poche renderings I wanted to try a different technique, because after using the digital process of rendering with Illustrator and Photoshop for the Bawa project I felt I lost a fair bit of artistic control, even though it did allow for some interesting visual effects. I've been using 'artist pens' to do my renderings of classical buildings for my History and Theory subject and really enjoyed the way the pens work almost like paint brushes with watery, but also precise strokes that can be easily manipulated for different visual effects- depending on how you press the pen against the paper of how many times you go over it. I visualised how my renders would look by thinking back to the warm tropical architecture of Bawa's house, and also looking to the interesting blend of tones created in my model. In this sense, my poches are to a degree a rendering of my model. I used the different tones of the pens, varied the breadth of the strokes, blended different colors to create new ones and applied multiple stokes to increase the depth and saturation. For me the main purpose of my renderings was to hint at and convey the atmosphere that I imagined one would feel inside the building, in the dislocated hallway and the illuminating tower. Probably went overboard with the tower section which looks more like the bowl of a volcano, but I did really like the way it contrasts with the dark hall space in such a loud way, and it also meant I could distinguish it from the inside of the alcoves. I would have also liked to hint at the context but I was not able to find a sensible or subtle way of doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment