Sunday, May 16, 2010

Project 3: Wk2 First Attempt

The purpose of this set of A3 presentation panels is to document our development process, of site analysis and narrative conception. Having grown up as a small kid in Newtown I do have some fond recollections of the area, particularly being taken to the park by my nona and omi and going to the shops on King Street. Since moving out of the area I've had very little to do with it, only coming occasionally for social get-togethers. So in some ways I indulgently chose site 1 as it spoke to my childhood, and was the perfect excuse to just hang around these old familiar places.

The layout of the panels deliberately mirrors the progressive development of my thoughts, based on the creative influences of the area and my chosen artwork theme. I have chosen to go for the artwork of Bill Henson because I have always admired his ability to capture the feeling of inhabiting marginalised and seemingly abandoned areas- and their dark,ominous character. I have always been captivated by the eaerie and ghostlike tonal qualities he picks up in the skin of his characters. Henson also eloquently frames the inner conflict of his human subjects, drawing out complex emotional states that you can definitely identified with. The times when you have doubt and fear caught up in desire. Importantly, the graphic and tonal nature of his work will be a great starting point for design exploration. I constructed the narrative based on spending time amongst the characters of the area, and really trying to create someone identifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment